Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hi Ho Hi Ho

So much had happened in the last week and a half. It was literally such a volume of insanity that I wasn't sure how to express it here. Let me share with you the reasons I will likely be committed.

(WARNING: This is going to be a long one.)

So it started last Sunday, when we got two phone calls within about an hour and a half. The first was from the hubby's mom, letting us know that she was going in for surgery to have a lump removed from her breast the next day -- completely out of the blue. Literally like: "Hi, I might have cancer and they're taking it out tomorrow. How are you?" Praise God, the pathology was negative and she's recovering perfectly from the operation.

The second phone call actually began as a text that my mother sent to my younger brother and I telling us she had some "BIG news." (Of course, younger brother thinks he's hilarious and goes "Mellora's pregnant?" No, dufus, I know where babies come from. I am NOT pregnant.)

So rather than lose my already-fragile mind playing these guessing games, I just call. Turns out our youngest brother is GETTING MARRIED IN TWO WEEKS. That would be Saturday. THIS. SATURDAY. To a girl named Jamie that we haven't met (but hopefully will soon). So that's neat.

Hubby and I promptly spent the rest of the afternoon staring into space on the couch. We went to 5pm mass and then headed over to the Hubby's parents -- so blessed that they live 10 minutes down the road, by the way -- to find out exactly what's going on and also give his mom some granddaughter snuggles.

Turns out, they didn't think it was cancerous, just that it was precancerous and should be removed. And, as I've already mentioned, everything is now just fine.

So after a good amount of snuggles, we headed home, put the munchkin to bed, and headed out to the deck for a few beers and to digest the insanity.

Fast forward about 18 hours. The hubby came home from work early for the ingredients for me to make a giant lasagna to take over to his parents. So we head over with said lasagna and hang out for a bit. His mom even ate a little (we were all silently shouting "yay!").

Later that night, we're further digesting the crazy, talking about leaving and how we're going to make it happen (possibly with a stop in the Front Royal area before we head west for real?) and the improvements we're going to have to make to the house and etc.

A little after midnight, we hear, what sounds like, 6-7 gunshots from a 9mm. I call 911, the hubby grabs the shotgun and then we call the community patrol. We spent the next hour and a half watching police cars patrol through the neighborhood, wondering what on earth is going on.

So, a little background. The last section added to our neighborhood was a bunch of townhouses. Some enterprising individual(s) purchased a bunch of these townhomes to rent out as section 8 housing. Needless to say, they are bringing down the freaking neighborhood. These renters roam the streets at night and use the next street down from our house as a cut-through to route 1, so we have to deal with their shenanigans on a regular basis.

We found out that some idiot had shot off a gun into the air and run into the woods after the community patrol stopped by two nights ago after we had to call them because nine hooligans were hanging around across the street from our house after dark. Fortunately the guys that patrol are neighborhood are pretty nice and hate the townhouses as much as the rest of the neighborhood does. This particular cop, who had seen the moron discharge his weapon, suggested that the best option would be to surround the townhouses with a tall fence and some barbed wire.

So us getting out of here suddenly became a lot more urgent. The baby girl is NOT growing up in THIS kind of neighborhood. So, back to work I go.

I started back doing my old job this past Monday through to the end of the election. It's only one day at the office per week and the rest from home, and it's actually not so bad so far. The baby girl takes long enough naps that I can easily fit in 2-4 hours a day while she's sleeping. Plus, the hubby's mom is enjoying having her all to herself on afternoon a week.

And the hubby is starting to do some photography part time (you should follow him at Twisty Slide Photography), taking photos of kiddos being kiddos. It's something he's discovered that he LOVES to photograph since the baby girl was born. He takes pics like this:

Aren't they too cute? "Back off my cheerios, you furry punk!"


  1. She just finished her school and he finishes in August or September and they didn't want to get separated. She's also USMC.